A Community Benefit Scheme is established for the Castlepook Wind Farm, and in addition to the community benefit fund other benefits for the local community include:
- Already, new bike trails part funded by the project have been developed so that no temporary loss of recreational amenity results.
- Improving the local recreational amenity opportunities by upgrading existing forest tracks to a high standard.
- Supporting local businesses, for example when purchasing fuel for machinery, raw materials for construction or when renting accommodation.
- Protecting the environment by replanting trees to replace those removed from Castlepook Forest.
- Contribute towards the Government’s target of sourcing 40% of electricity from renewable sources by 2020.
Castlepook Wind Farm operates a community fund which will be made available every year for the operational lifetime of the wind farm. The fund, is made available to local community and voluntary organisations who wish to complete a project within falling under one or more of these broad themes:
- Education and Skills
- Health, Safety and Wellbeing
- Environment and Habitat Conservation
- Energy Efficiency and Sustainability
- Culture and Heritage
- Recreation, Sport and Social Inclusion
Since 2016, the fund has committed to investing over €129,000 in 22 projects within the vicinity of Castlepook. The 2019 round of funding is now open for applications until 5pm on March 15th 2019. Please ensure you read the fund guidelines before submitting your application. For fund guidelines click here, and to apply click here.